This fun dessert is a Winner for after Thanksgiving Dinner!
Simple instructions, easy-to-find ingredients, and a fab opportunity to invite kids into the Kitchen, these Turkey Treat Desserts are a winning combination. Create a tasty, memorable tradition the whole family will enjoy!
Ingredients – makes 12 Turkey Treat Desserts
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 6 cups mini marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows
- 1 small package candy bar minis – we love Snickers or Butterfinger minis (12 total)
- 1 small package candy corn (12 pieces total)
- 1 small package candy eyes (24 total)
- 1 large package multi-colored gummy bears (84 total)
- 1 small tube red decorator icing
- 1 small tube white decorator icing
- 12 cupcake liners
- wax paper
- measuring cups
- 5 cereal bowls
- 2 large mixing bowls
- large saucepan
- rubber scraper or large spoon
- butter, coconut oil, or non-stick cooking spray
1. Prepare your workspace to facilitate easy assembly line-style creation of your treats. Kids love this part! Tear off and lay out sheets of wax paper to protect your workspace. Set out cupcake liners. Set out 2 large mixing bowls and 5 cereal bowls.
2. Count out and place ingredients into cereal bowls as follows: 12 pieces candy corn, 24 candy eyes, 84 gummy bears. Unwrap 12 candy bar minis and place them in a cereal bowl. Count out 6 cups mini marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows and place into a large mixing bowl. Grease another large mixing bowl with butter, coconut oil or non-stick cooking oil. Measure out 4 cups Rice Krispies and pour them into the large, greased mixing bowl.
3. Heat ½ cup softened butter over medium-low heat until completely melted. Gradually add the marshmallows 1 cup at a time, stirring them briskly until they melt. Continue adding marshmallows and melting them 1 cup at a time until all are fully incorporated into the melted butter.
4. Combine the melted butter/marshmallow mixture with the dry Rice Krispies in the large mixing bowl. To do this, pour the marshmallow mixture little by little and very slowly in a side-to-side motion over the Rice Krispies. Use a rubber scraper or large wooden spoon to prevent sticking or clumping and spread the marshmallow mixture evenly to incorporate with the Rice Krispies.
5. Grease your hands to prepare them for rolling the marshmallow Rice Krispie mixture into the turkeys. Pick up a large handful of Rice Krispie mixture and press it gently into your palm. Make a well into the mixture, place a candy bar mini into the well, and massage the Rice Krispie mixture up and around the candy bar. Roll into a ball, adding more Rice Krispie mixture as needed to cover the candy bar completely. Set the Rice Krispie ball onto the wax paper workspace in preparation for decorating.
6. Once all 12 Rice Krispie balls are formed, lay them down on cupcake liners in preparation for creating the “faces” and “feathers” on your turkey treats.
For beak: push one piece of candy corn into the ball to form a beak.
For eyes: use the white decorator icing as glue to apply the candy eyes just above the candy corn beak.
For gobbler: use the red decorator icing to create a gobbler over the candy corn beak and down alongside it.
For tail feathers: apply decorator icing along the backside of the turkey as glue, and press 7 gummy bears into the icing to look like feathers.
Song du Jour: Don’t Panic by Coldplay