Tasty guacamole in 2 minutes or less? Are you kidding?! Nope.
I’ll even share some quick “pro tips” in my video below. ;)
I admit it. I envy my pals in California, Central America and South America, who have access to several varieties of avocados year-round. Many of you have heard me say, “Nachos are my favorite food,” on more than one occasion. Well, in my mind, nachos are incomplete without guacamole. And if I am gonna ‘rock-the-guac’ on short notice, I have to make a quickie-but-goodie version. Know what I mean?
Before I share my recipe, I’m hookin’ you up with a few
Pro Tips for Making Guacamole…
1. Know Thy Avocado.
Who knew there are so many varieties of avocados?! For guacamole, you’ll want to hold the fruit in your hand and squeeze it gently. The perfect avocado will be firm, yet yield slightly to the pressure of your hand squeezing it. Ya know – use the “not too firm, not too squishy” test.
I learned a ton about types and ways to select avocados by bopping around the California Avocado website. You’ll find a link to their website at the end of this post.
2. Know How to Open and Pit an Avocado.
Seems simple enough, right? Although there are several methods, the one I explain below has worked well for many, myself included. Straightforward. Simple. Successful. Just below the step-by-step graphic, you’ll find my 1 minute video tutorial. Or just click here and follow along.
My Video: BelovedAtmosphere.com – How To Pit an Avocado (1:28)
3. You May Add, but You May Not Take Away.
(aka “Less is More.”)
As you add ingredients to your fork-mashed avocado, do so bit-by-bit. Taste as you go, right? You may always add more salsa or salt. However, once ingredients are in the mix, your final guacamole product may taste “off” if you added too much. Use my measurement amounts as a guideline, and adjust to your taste. I won’t be offended. ;)
If I am gonna ‘rock-the-guac’ on short notice,
I like to make a quickie-but-goodie version.
4 simple ingredients for making Guacamole Perfecto!
Using a spoon, scoop out both halves of the avocado and place the “meat” into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Using a fork, mash the avocado to the desired consistency for your guacamole.
Add 2 Tablespoons of chunky salsa. Gently incorporate into avocado mixture. Sprinkle in and incorporate the salt, pepper and Adobo spice (if desired), to taste.
Serve with tortilla chips, fresh cut-up vegetables or anything you love to pair with guacamole!
- 1 ripe avocado (hass, bacon or fuerte varieties work well)
- 2TBSP medium chunky salsa (Chi-Chi’s, Trader Joe’s Autentica or Old El Paso are best)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Goya Adobo spice, to taste (optional)
- sharp knife
- Slice and pit the avocado (see my instructional video below for simple instructions).
- Using a spoon, scoop out both halves of the avocado and place the “meat” into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado to the desired consistency for your guacamole.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of chunky salsa. Gently incorporate into avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle in and incorporate the salt, pepper and Adobo spice (if desired), to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fresh cut-up vegetables or anything you love to pair with guacamole!
Helpful Resources on Avocados
varieties of avocados ~ on CaliforniaAvocado.com
how to choose and use an avocado ~ on CaliforniaAvocado.com