Many thanks to Pop Secret for sponsoring this story and encouraging our family to build healthy fun using our imaginations! #PopSecretForts
Hey there everyone! I have an exciting proposition for you. Will you give it a try this week? Hint: It involves Pop Secret popcorn. I assure you, you won’t be disappointed.
C’mon, how many activities can promise you these 3 things?
1. a simple solution to the Winter Blahs
2. an activity which taps into your family’s collective imagination
3. a low-cost, in-home option
Bonus: This is an unplugged activity with a higher-than-average FUN quotient!
Warning: You might not have heard this since you were a kid. Are you ready…?
“Hey! Let’s make popcorn and build a fort!”
You better believe we come prepared.
• Grab a box of Pop Secret popcorn (for snacking before, during and after building our fort!). Check.
• Gather shipping boxes from around the house (we keep ‘em stocked for just such occasions). Check.
• Hunt down fort-building supplies. Check.
• Grab sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, toys and books for inside the fort Check.
• Sketch out fort plans whilst munching on Pop Secret Sweet ‘n Crunchy Kettlecorn (it’s our favorite!). Check.
• Get building!
The castle fort our family constructed together. Whaddya think?
As parents, my hubs and I adore seeing our kids work together cooperatively to create a group project. As a teacher, I gush with pride when I witness our kids learning how mathematics, art and architecture combine to bring their creations to life. Honestly, my hubs and I stand back and simply act as facilitators in the kids’ creative process. Ya know, we help with things like cutting cardboard with a box cutter. Otherwise, we’re hands-off and let ‘em go to town! Watching kids create is so cool.
An added benefit of this unplugged activity is kids seem to naturally want to bring all their toys inside their fort and spend their time playing there. Hey, if I can avoid even a few days of the 15-minute clean-up routine, I’ll take it! Selfish? Maybe a bit. What better way to tap into your children’s creativity and keep them occupied in a healthy way?
Quick fort building supply list, if you wish to give it a go…
• Pop Secret microwave popcorn (click HERE to download a $1.00 off coupon from Pop Secret!)
• 2-3 medium to large cardboard packing boxes
• kid scissors
• adult scissors
• box cutter or straight edge blade (for Parents’ hands only!)
• clear tape or masking tape
• favorite print duct tape (stores have every color, print and style these days!)
• standard silver duct tape
• markers, colored pencils or crayons for decorating
• kid sleeping bags
So, what are you waiting for? Grab some supplies, pop some popcorn, and let’s get building! Your kiddos will love you for it, and you’ll beat the Winter Blahs while you’re at it. 🙂
Don’t forget to download a $1 off coupon on Pop Secret’s Facebook page. While you’re there, submit a snap of your family’s fort to the Pop Secret Facebook page with the hashtag #PopSecretForts for a chance to win fun surprises and rewards from Pop Secret!
Click HERE to snag a $1.00 off coupon from Pop Secret. Grab a box to enjoy during your fort building, for a movie night, or “just because”!
What are your most favorite ways to enjoy a family staycation and beat the Winter Blahs?